Who are we?
It’s pretty simple, really. IO Interactive is here to deliver exciting best-in-class gaming experiences. We want our games to play and feel like the people who created them – unique and creative. It is our way of making sure that we will always deliver something interesting.
So we do a lot to foster a culture of brother- and sisterhood and we strive to be a collective of creative, productive people rather than a factory. You come to work at IO Interactive because you want to create top-of-the-line games and because you want to be part of a company that isn’t afraid of doing things differently.
Because you will be spending a substantial amount of your day here, we do as much as we can to make IOI feel like a second home. We meet for optional breakfast every morning, have communal lunches and even dinner on those occasionally long days where we need to meet an important deadline.
On Fridays we sometimes have our Friday bar – either planned as a big thing where we run around in the building with laser guns or other fun like that – or just spontaneously started somewhere in the building. Every now and then we have IOI days where we can dig into our pet projects or attend presentations from colleagues or external experts on everything game related. It’s all about getting creative, influenced and inspired.
What is the job?
IO Interactive is currently looking for a full-time Lead Concept Artist to join an unannounced AAA game project. We are prepared to accept applications from the very best talent from around the world and offer relocation packages in order to secure the right candidate for this role.
As a part of the team, you will collaborate with the art director to achieve the creative vision of the project. Ongoing responsibilities include: producing concepts for locations, characters and other game assets as well as working on wrapping, marketing material, etc. You will be constantly striving for the highest possible standards of style and looks.
You will be involved in the initial design of graphics and will be collaborating with the directors, leads and indvidual team members. Your goal is to set new standards for style and concepts in games gaining optimal resonance within the market.
What are the responsibilities?
- Work with the art director to achieve the creative vision and a consistent style in the game
- Establish style by creating concept artwork, asset production designs, and graphics visually describing characters, locations, props etc.
- Create inspirational and trend setting storyboards, sketches, layouts and color schemes
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the concept artists on the team
- Work with direction creating concepts for menus, OSD, HUD and game wrapping
- Create concepts and make marketing material to support the production
- Work with environment artists on early 3D visualization prototypes
- Assist and give feedback in the actual creation of game assets like models and shaders
What is required?
- Accomplished concept artist preferably with experience of working on at least one AAA title
- Excellent drawing and conceptualization skills with an ability to adapt to established styles
- Understanding of fundamental illustration skills including form, composition, perspective, light and color theory
- Understanding of surface texture, anatomy and architecture
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process
- Must be capable creating diverse styles
- Digital illustration skills and an advanced understanding of Photoshop
- Self-motivated towards solving creative problems
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- A passion for video games is mandatory
It will be an advantage if you have:
- Fine Art or Design Education background
- Experience in one or more 3D sculpting applications (Zbrush, Mudbox, 3DCoat, Sculptris …)
You made it this far. Clearly you’re ready to know even more. So get in touch now. We need you!