IO Interactive is building a strong and talented team of multiplayer programmers in Malmö and Copenhagen. We’re cooking a brand-new title and concept that will continue the immersive mastery we got you used to, except on a whole other level of player interaction.
For that, we need to consolidate our engine’s networking capabilities. You’ll be in for the long-haul. Sounds like fun? Oh, we know it will be.
Help us build the best multiplayer team.
What you will do:
- You will get to extend the technology of our in-house Glacier engine with multiplayer capabilities. That means designing and implementing the network/multiplayer software stack for the engine, and for any in-house games that need to support multiplayer.
- At the same time, as an experienced lead, you will coordinate the multiplayer programming team, mentor and inspire other members of the team to achieve high-level AAA multiplayer functionality.
- You will also work closely with the engine team to co-develop the object replication layer.
- You will collaborate with the AI and gameplay teams to define and implement network-aware features, workflows and setups.
- You will get to share responsibility with the online team to create, run and monitor our game servers and back end infrastructure.
- In short, the team you will be part of will be responsible for the development of the network layer.
Who you are:
- You are an engine, software or multiplayer/network programmer who helped ship AAA multiplayer games. What we’re working on is next-level. That’s why the AAA experience is key here.
- You have a strong knowledge of C/C++, since we have our own, proprietary engine you can go nuts in. Not completely nuts, but you get the point.
- You have strong knowledge of network protocols, major APIs and libraries.
- You are well-versed in anything multiplayer-related tech: firewall traversal, data compression and encryption, distributed algorithms, mesh topologies, objects replication, prediction models, latency compensation and anti-cheating.
- We expect you to be experienced in navigating and integrating new technologies into large existing codebases.
- You have excellent written and verbal communications skills in English. We are a proudly and happily international studio.
- Since you will work with plenty of other teams, you need a collaborative attitude, being good at knowledge-sharing but also at building on your own skills.
- You have a structured approach to planning, tasks resource estimation, assigning and breaking them down.
- You have a Bachelor’s in Computer Science, a related education, or equivalent experience.
- You are completely and irrevocably passionate about video games.
We’d love it if you had:
- Console experience (Xbox One and PS4).
- Experience with creating custom tools with C#/.NET
- Cross-site and cross-team working experience.
- Master/PhD degree in Computer Science or related fields.
You will get to work on Glacier, an engine that still makes even our most senior programmers get giddy about how cool it is. You will get to work on new, advanced stuff that we guarantee will tickle your inner geek, and give you the creative and technical freedom we know is so important. You will have appreciation for your input, impact will be recognized, and you will get to see your work in a game played by millions. We don’t just work – we also celebrate milestones and take the time to look around and give some well-deserved kudos. Finally, you will be part of a crazy-good team of programmers who are really eager to have you on board!
Who we are:
A team, above all. If you join our studio, expect to be encouraged, listened to and have your efforts and insightful impact recognized and valued. We take pride in the friendly haven we built at IOI, and we expect you to take part in cultivating that. We are also highly international, with over 24 nationalities working in both our Copenhagen and Malmö studios.
We also have a reputation for being a very friendly workplace with highly talented people. That is why the members we welcome in our team never fail to integrate, and are supported, valued and listened to at all steps. We are dedicated to quality and have fun while doing it. We welcome you to join us and do the same.
The position is open in both our Copenhagen and Malmö studios. We welcome candidates from all over the world and we are looking forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions at all, please reach out to Marina at email@example.com.