Can you create level design that inspires?
Our unique level design is part of what we’re known for at IO Interactive, but we don’t rest on our laurels; we always want to get better and learn from the best in the industry which is why we’re looking for a creative and experienced lead level designer to join us on our newest and unannounced AAA game.
As a Lead Level Designer with IO Interactive you’ll be spearheading and leading a team to execute and develop level design which emphasizes the creative vision and direction of the game. This you’ll do by owning pushing quality to the max and continuing the legacy of the iconic IO Interactive level design by mentoring and developing the talented level design team as well as liaising with other leads, directors and game management to reach targets and push the bar of what’s possible within level design.
Your systemic thinking allows you to see patterns and create models that will handle the complex world of AAA game development with multiple partners and a lot of creative and talented minds. Your experience with the full cycle game development process enables you to trust your instinct and guide your team along the ever-changing road that is AAA development and guide us to success with our newest endeavor.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of level designers to realize the vision of the directors into playable spaces.
- Collaborate with cross discipline teams to implement world class narrative driven experiences within levels.
- Build workflows that support the level design team to deliver high quality levels that are compelling from early in the process through to the final product.
- Manage and mentor a team of level designers.
- Serve as a conduit between game management team and level design team, ensuring expectations are always clear.
- Set benchmarks for high quality level design and drive that across the level design team through frequent reviews and constructive feedback.
- Use IO Interactive’s proprietary tools to build levels and script events, while identifying opportunities for improvement.
Who you are:
- Accomplished level designer with extensive experience in the video games industry, having worked in a lead capacity for at least one published title.
- Analytically minded and organized. A good understanding of what it takes to go from initial concept to a full, fun, and functional level setup
- Adept at combining rules, constraints, and affordances into challenging and engaging gameplay
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes at any phase of the development process
- Self-motivated towards solving creative problems and technical challenges
- A deep passion and enthusiasm for making and playing games, and a good understanding of the competitive landscape
We would love it if you had:
- Experience creating third person narrative driven game campaigns
- Architectural knowledge
- Relevant design education
- Work showcases (E. g. in published games, on personal website, or on YouTube)
Who we are:
A team, above all. If you join our studio, expect to be encouraged, listened to and have your efforts and insightful impact recognized and valued. We take pride in the friendly haven we built at IOI, and we expect you to take part in cultivating that. We are also highly international, with 150 people from over 27 nationalities working in both our Copenhagen and Malmö studios.
We also have a reputation for being a very friendly workplace with highly talented people. That is why the members we welcome in our team never fail to integrate, and are supported, valued and listened to at all steps. We are dedicated to quality and have fun while doing it. We welcome you to join us and do the same. 🙂
The position is our Malmö studio. For the right candidate, will take location preference into consideration.
We welcome candidates from all over the world and we are looking forward to hearing from you! Please submit your application in English.