Who are we?
It’s pretty simple, really. IO Interactive is here to deliver exciting best-in-class gaming experiences. We want our games to play and feel like the people who created them – unique and creative. It is our way of making sure that we will always deliver something interesting.
So we do a lot to foster a culture of brother- and sisterhood and we strive to be a collective of creative, productive people rather than a factory. You come to work at IO Interactive because you want to create top-of-the-line games and because you want to be part of a company that isn’t afraid of doing things differently.
Because you will be spending a substantial amount of your day here, we do as much as we can to make IOI feel like a second home. We meet for optional breakfast every morning, have communal lunches and even dinner on those occasionally long days where we need to meet an important deadline.
On Fridays we sometimes have our Friday bar – either planned as a big thing where we run around in the building with laser guns or other fun like that – or just spontaneously started somewhere in the building. Every now and then we have IOI days where we can dig into our pet projects or attend presentations from colleagues or external experts on everything game related. It’s all about getting creative, influenced and inspired.
What is the job?
IO-Interactive is currently looking for a full-time Technical Artist.
We are prepared to accept applications from the very best talent from around the world and offer relocation packages in order to secure the right candidate for this role.
As an integral part of the team, you will collaborate with directors, leads and other team members to achieve the creative vision of the project.
You will work closely with art and programming departments in introducing, maintaining and supporting features.
You will be responsible for implementing, optimizing and designing visual effects for the project.
What are the responsibilities?
- Create, implement, and optimize assets and systems for in-game, real-time effects (e.g., for particle effects, shaders, simulations, rigging of real-time dynamics etc.)
- Support art teams in achieving the visual target by providing automation, shaders, documentation, cinematic setups, scripts
- Solve technical production issues, define work flows, streamline processes, and develop tools/frameworks for art, working in conjunction with art team and the programming team
- Participate in production planning to determine and address technical design and visual effects requirements and issues
- Collaborate with leads and team members to define and prioritize goals and tasks for visual effects and tech art
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Mentor and train others in areas of expertise. Train Artists in the skills necessary to execute the art path efficiently
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team/department performance
- Coordinate with other studio groups to achieve project objectives
What is required?
- Accomplished technical artist with experience of working on at least one AAA title
- Understanding of the technical limitations and requirements for in-game effects
- Ability to create great looking game art and VFX
- Experienced in one or more 3D applications (3dsMax, Maya, …)
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process
- Self-motivated towards solving creative problems
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- A passion for video games is mandatory
It will be an advantage if you have:
- Game artist or post production background
- Experience working with scripting languages like Python, Lua, Mel or MaxScript
- FumeFX, Maya Fluids or Houdini experience
You made it this far. Clearly you’re ready to know even more. So get in touch now. We need you!